Sunday 28 June 2009

Great New Book about Con-Languages


One of the reading joys of this summer (thanks to the Amazon "we think you would enjoy option") is a new book about the world of artifical languages (or con-langs) called In the Land of Artifical Languages by Arika Okrent.

As an avid although I fear hoplessly inept Tolkien Linguist I was not aware of the incredible number of artifical languages and the number of people who had the same "secret vice" as Tolkien. The book is excellenty writen with some great tongue and cheek observations of a newbie at at a Loglan conference or cramming to pass her first test in Klingon (which I am now secretly -will not so secretly if I am posting it here! - thinking of learning once I get my head around Russian.

I recommend it highly! My Good Reads review follows:

In the Land of Invented Languages: Esperanto Rock Stars, Klingon Poets, Loglan Lovers, and The Mad Dreamers Who Tried to Build A Perfect Language In the Land of Invented Languages: Esperanto Rock Stars, Klingon Poets, Loglan Lovers, and The Mad Dreamers Who Tried to Build A Perfect Language by Arika Okrent


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Excellent book - a must read for any secret vice arm chair linguist - has made me interested in learning Klingon!!! Excellent - a bit more on Tolkien would have been good - perhaps a second volume.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brian

Thanks for the comment. I have Esperanto on my radar to study (with Klingon!).

Best, Andrew

Blog Archive